Emergency Management

E M E R G E N C Y    M A N A G E M E N T

Home  >  Community & Events  >  Community Safety  >  Emergency Management

In the case of a life threatening emergency call Triple Zero 000 (Police, Fire and Ambulance)


The Tasman Emergency Management Plan is issued under the authority of the State Controller, in accordance with the requirements of Section 34 of the Emergency Management Act 2006 and is maintained by Council.  The Plan was issued 10 December 2020 and has now been endorsed by the State Controller.

Tasman Council has an integral role in emergency management.  It has resources that may be directly utilised, has access to other resources within the community and to vital information that will be required when responding to and recovering from an emergency.

The objectives of this plan are to record:

1. Roles and responsibilities related to identified hazards and emergency management functions
2. Current arrangements for Prevention and Mitigation, Preparedness, Response and Recovery
3. Identify opportunities to reduce risks to the community

1.3 MiB
2.9 MiB


The Red Cross have simple and practical steps you can take to protect yourself, the people you love, and the things you value most. Start planning on the Red Cross Website or download the Get Prepared app for your phone.


TasALERT is an official website offering emergency information. You can also view updates via Facebook or Twitter. Stay informed of emergency situations.


You can find fire alerts on the Tasmania Fire Service website.  The TFS also offer information for preventing and preparing for bushfires. Prepare a Bushfire Survival Plan


For information on how to prepare for and stay safe during floods and storms visit the Tasmania SES website pages Flood Preparation and Storm Preparation.Call the Tasmania State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500 or visit the SES website.

For information about Australian Warning System (AWS) for flood emergencies, please click on the document below.

653.8 KiB


The Tasman Municipality has a number of Evacuation Centres that can be established if necessary. The location of the Evacuation Centre will depend upon the nature and location of emergency.

During an emergency, contact us directly or visit our official social media channels, such as Facebook, for information about the location of our evacuation centres.


All councils in Tasmania have a role to identify and address a number of nuisances which may affect the public.

Property owners may determine for themselves how to manage their properties up to the point where it becomes a clear risk to their neighbours. The Tasman Council’s Inspectors are trained to recognise fire risks, and are able to determine the most practical way to manage the risk.

Councils are provided with the power to issue an Abatement Notice when an inspection shows there is, or is likely to be, a nuisance on private property that presents an immediate risk to life or property on adjoining land within their council area (e.g. a fire risk). This legislation, the Local Government Act 1993, also assigns councils with the responsibility to take action to abate a nuisance at the owner’s expense, if the owner does not do so inside a specified time.

What happens?

If after assessment of the property, a fire risk is determined, an Abatement Notice is sent to the property owner.  Property owners are encouraged to take immediate steps to abate the fire risk, and communicate with Council about what they are doing.  If a notice is not complied with Council is then compelled to clear the fire risk on the owner’s behalf.  Where this occurs the property owner will be billed for this work.

I received a Notice – where do I go for advice?

Contact Council 6250 9200.

I’m not going to be able clear vegetation in time – what do I do?

You need to contact Council before the deadline. An extension will only be considered in extreme circumstances. All requests for extensions must be made in writing to the General Manager at the Tasman Council, 1713 Main Road, NUBEENA TAS 7184.

I think there’s overgrown vegetation on my neighbour’s block?

It is always best to try and resolve these concerns with your neighbour first.  If this is not working, then you may contact the Council.  Following an inspection it will be determined if the fire risk is such that an abatement notice is required.  If action is required it may take some time to progress from the notice to the works being done to reduce vegetation.

What is it going to cost me if the Council clears the hazard on my property?

The costs vary depending on the size and type of hazard, the time required to clear the hazard and the equipment required.

I worked to clear the vegetation, and Council is still not satisfied, why?

The Abatement Notice must be complied with in full to provide fire protection. It is also necessary to continue to control the vegetation throughout the bushfire season, so work done in late spring, may be required to be done again at intervals through until April.

Can I burn off garden waste in my backyard to help reduce the hazard?

Smoke from burning off in built-up areas is a public nuisance, particularly for sufferers of illness such as asthma.  Backyard burning is controlled by the state-wide Environment Management and Control (Distributed Atmospheric Emissions) Regulations 2007.  These regulations provide that vegetation may be burnt to reduce a fire hazard, but must be done in a reasonable manner so as not to cause a smoke nuisance to your neighbour.  You also need to check with the Tasmania Fire Service (TFS) as to whether a fire permit is required, you should also follow any TFS guidelines to ensure that you are doing so in a way that is not going to create a fire risk in itself.  For all these reasons it is recommended that in residential areas vegetation be removed rather than burnt.  Council’s Transfer Stations accept green waste.