There’s a wealth of information about local wildlife on the relevant section of the Parks & Wildlife Service Tasmania website http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=430
If you find an injured native animal please contact:
- All native animals
- Roaring Beach Wildlife Rescue – 0419 048 819
- Bonorong Wildlife Rescue (24-hr) – 0447 264 625 (0477 animal)
- Seabirds and other birds
- Richard and Lesley Kurek – 03 6250 2516 or 0407 502 099
- Parks and Wildlife Services (South-East) – 03 6214 8100
The danger presented by snakes is not nearly as great as perceived. Tasmanian snakes are unlikely to attack people unless they feel trapped or threatened. It is easy to mistake a snake’s bluff or an attempt to reach shelter for an attack.
Never attempt to catch or kill a snake, they are protected and most snake bites occur when people try to catch or kill them. Keep pets and children away and the snake is likely to move on if not disturbed.
For removal of snakes on private property please contact:
- Roseanne Heyward – 03 6250 3372
- Marcus Clark – 03 6250 3873 or 0407 503 813