PREPARING YOU BINS FOR COLLECTION
- Place both your waste and recycling bins out for collection on the night before (Friday) or no later than 6am on your collection day (Saturday).
- Make sure there is a distance of at least 1 meter between your bins and obstacles such as poles or trees.
- Bins must face the road with handles facing your house.
All residents have a green 120 or 240 litre wheelie bin for recycling and a 240 litre wheelie bin (red lid) for domestic waste to be collected each fortnight. Please observe these requirements to assist with your collection:
- The 240 litre bins (red lid) are for domestic waste only, such as food scraps and non-recyclable items. Do not put bricks, heavy timber or steel in this bin. These materials can damage the collection equipment.
- No paint, chemicals, liquids or motor oil.
- Number your bin lid to protect against loss or theft.
- Bag all items, especially dust and loose materials to precent jamming and avoid spillage during collections.
- Do not place rubbish beside or on top of the bin.
- Remove bin from kerbside as soon as possible after collection.
Councils contractor does a fortnightly collection, the details of the fortnightly collection order is below and in the waste management calendar:
- From Northern Council boundary at Dunalley, Murdunna, Sommers Bay, Eaglehawk Neck, Taranna through to Port Arthur, Carnavon, Stormlea to White Beach turnoff
- From White Beach turnoff into White Beach, Nubeena (including Nubeena Back Road), Roaring Beach, Saltwater River, Sloping Main, Premaydena, Koonya to Arthur Highway
Garbage & Recycling Calendar / What Can Go in Your Bin
Guide to Recycling
RED GENERAL WASTE BIN
Household waste bins are collected fortnightly and only be used for general household waste that cannot be recycled.
GREEN RECYCLING BIN
These bins are collected fortnightly on the same day of the week as your household waste bin.
Recyclable items include:
- Paper and cardboard (including newspapers, magazines, catalogues, envelopes, milk and juice cartons, cardboard boxes and any other paper).
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Empty aluminum, steel and aerosol cans.
- Rigid plastic containers (including plastic drink bottles, yoghurt containers, detergent bottles and shampoo bottles).
- No need to take lids off bottles.
- Place all recyclables loose in the bin.
- Do not bundle newspapers.
- Do not put recyclables in plastic bags or bin liners.
- Do not put plastic bags in the bin.
Upgrade to a 240L Recycling Bin:
Council is able to offer all ratepayers with a current waste collection to increase their recycling bin from 120L bin to 240L. If this is something that you would be interested in, please contact Council at your earliest convenience to organise a new bin and to discuss the additional fees.
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE KERBSIDE COLLECTION SERVICE
- Building and construction waste
- Car components
- Rocks and earth
- Hot ashes
- Hazardous waste (including ammunition, paint, oil, heavy metal batteries, pharmaceuticals, poisons, pesticides)
Collection occurs between 6am and 4pm. If your bins are not collected during this period on your collection day please leave the bin out and contact Council.
If your bin is damaged or goes missing, you will need to advise Council in order for a replacement bin to be distributed. Your first replacement bin is free, subsequent bins will incur a replacement fee. Council encourages households to number your bin clearly to deter theft. If you wish to apply for an extra bin please contact Council. Additional waste collection charges will apply.